3 Nutrients to Support Your Child’s Immune Health
As a parent, you want your kids to grow healthy and strong. Calcium is the go-to for bones and teeth, but which vitamins help support your kids’ immune system?
Read on to learn more about how Vitamin C, D and Zinc support immune health and which L’il Critters gummies to choose to support your kids’ immune system.*
1. Vitamin C and Immune Health
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that supports immune health.* The recommended Daily Value of vitamin C is 90 mg for children ages 4+ or 15 mg for kids 1-3. Your child’s unique vitamin C needs may be different so if you have any questions on how much vitamin C your child needs daily, please talk to your healthcare provider.
Many parents reach for a glass of orange juice for a source of Vitamin C, but it is also found in a variety of fruits and vegetables! Some vitamin C-rich foods include kiwi, cantaloupe, grapefruit, mangoes, broccoli, bell peppers, and winter squash.
Another way to help support your child’s immune health is to provide a supplement. When looking for a kids’ vitamin to support their immune systems, be sure to choose one that’s got all the good stuff you want without anything extra you don’t.
All L’il Critters™ gummy vitamins are made without synthetic FD&C dyes, gluten, dairy, or high-fructose corn syrup. There are several L’il Critters products that provide Vitamin C, so you can choose the one your kids love best.
Try any of these L’il Critters™ gummy vitamins with Vitamin C to support immune health*:
- L’il Critters™ Immune C™ – These gummy vitamins contain the immune support of Vitamin C, Vitamin D3 and Zinc in delicious cherry, orange, strawberry and lemon flavors.*
- L'il Critters™ Gummy Vites™ – Our signature daily multivitamin gives kids the great taste they want, a fun gummy bear shape they love, and essential vitamins and minerals they need to support healthy growth and development, including Vitamin C.*
2. Benefits of Vitamin D3 for Immune Health
Also known as the “sunshine vitamin” since our bodies can make Vitamin D from sunlight, Vitamin D3 plays a role in maintaining your kids’ immune health.* And fun fact: vitamin D also helps your body absorb calcium—an important mineral that supports strong bones and teeth!*
As well as from sunshine, you can also get vitamin D from some foods. You can find vitamin D in fatty fish, egg yolks, cheese, and some mushrooms. Cow’s milk is also fortified with vitamin D.
During the winter, getting enough Vitamin D can be tough for kids. On top of that, busy lifestyles, concerns about sun exposure, and picky young eaters can all contribute to inadequate Vitamin D levels. If you’re not sure if your little one is getting enough vitamin D from the sun or food, there are a few L’il Critters™ gummy vitamins with Vitamin D3 to support immune health*:
- L’il Critters™ Vitamin D3 : A daily serving of these fun-shaped, great-tasting gummies will give your child 200% of the Daily Value of Vitamin D3 per serving to help support their immune system and bone health.*
- L’il Critters™ Immune C™ Plus Zinc and Vitamin D: With Vitamin C, Zinc, and Vitamin D3 for immune support*, they have a delicious taste and chewy texture that makes taking a daily immune support gummy vitamin a fun part of the day.
- L'il Critters™ Gummy Vites™: Includes a variety of essential vitamins and minerals to support healthy development, including D3 for immune support.*
3. Zinc Supports Immune Health
Zinc is a mineral that’s important to the body in many ways, but it is most known for providing cellular and immune support.* Zinc is found in a variety of foods, including red meat, dairy, shellfish, whole grains, nuts and legumes like chickpeas, beans and lentils.
There are also L’il Critters gummy vitamins with Zinc to support your children’s immune health.* L’il Critters Immune C Plus Zinc and Vitamin D gummy vitamins and L’il Critters Gummy Vites contain zinc in delicious fruit flavors. Plus, L’il Critters are made without synthetic FD&C dyes, gluten, dairy, or high-fructose corn syrup.
Other Tips to Help Support Kids’ Immune Health
Whether during the school year or over summer vacation, supporting your kids’ immune system is important. In addition to our gummy vitamins that contain Vitamin C, D3 and/or Zinc, remember these other tips to support your child’s immune health.
- Wash your hands. One simple but effective way for children to support their immune health is to wash their hands regularly. A fun way to make handwashing a success is to have children sing Happy Birthday two times while washing with soap and water. That ensures they are washing their hands for 20 seconds, the recommended amount of time, and sending harmful germs down the drain.
- Dance, run, play, exercise. Physical activity is great for children’s physical and mental health—and it’s been shown to help immune systems too! According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), toddlers should be active 3 or more hours daily. Elementary and middle school students need 60 minutes of daily physical activity most days of the week. Make physical activity fun by dancing, playing, or playing a sport together as a family.
- Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is important to children’s health and development. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine and American Academy of Pediatrics recommend kids 3-5 years old sleep 10-13 hours per day, including naps. For children ages 6-12, the recommendation is to get 9-12 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a healthy diet. Help your child eat a wide variety of nutritious foods like fruits, vegetables, beans, low-fat dairy, nuts and seeds, as well as protein to help provide the building blocks for healthy growth and development. One way to get children excited about food is to have them help in the kitchen! Kids can help with a variety of age-appropriate activities, such as stirring ingredients in a bowl, washing food, or cutting soft foods with a plastic knife.
L’il Critters – Here to Support your Child’s Health
There are many ways to support your child’s immune system! Whether you’re playing tag as a family, cooking dinner together, or providing a yummy gummy vitamin after breakfast, you’re helping your child build a strong foundation of health.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.